Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Quinquennial, Part 10 Released!

Hey, lookee here! Another Quinquennial part!I guess Quinquennial is officially my longest special episode (even though it isn't all that special).

I know this one's a bit overdue, and I don't really have a good explanation. So rather than bore you with that, I'll bore you by telling you about the plot of this part! It takes us to the never-before-seen Morlox homeworld of Morloxica, where things are about to go horribly wrong.

The logo, here hovering above a bunch of very miffed Dweebles...

HURR DURR DERP I ARE MORLOX

The planet of Morloxica and its beautiful ring system.


A shot of the Morlox city. There's gotta be some reason
why every planet has only one city...

There goes Shadow, breaking the 4th wall again...
Commentary: You heard this right, we're gonna be seeing the Morloxes since that one Clark and Stanley adventure of mine! The Morloxes were developed solely to be yet another cause of Clark and Stanley's comedic deaths through their enmity with the Dweebles, but they only appeared in one adventure and disappeared along with the Dweebles. Since I already brought back the Dweebles for Quinquennial, I decided to take a look from the other perspective and show how the Morlox reacted to the crisis Jercy inadvertently started.

Of course, that meant developing their culture somewhat. I knew already that they were militaristic warriors, so I took a page from Stellaris and Starship Troopers and developed their government as a military republic where citizenship is only granted to those who serve in the military. But then, I had this idea where the government not only supported continued xenophobia towards the Dweebles, but embraced it and used it as a propaganda machine. I recalled the Two Minutes Hate from 1984, so I decided to make their government a Big Brother-esque totalitarian state that is supported by brainwashing and propaganda, and combined it with the martial citizenship to make an interesting and unique government. Their architecture was designed with this in mind, giving their city an even more authoritarian vibe (helped with several propaganda posters).
I also based their rivalry with the Dweebles on the Cold War, where the United States and the USSR waged war not through arms but propaganda, constantly getting into debates and arguments that can at times seem childish and petty from a modern perspective.

Originally, the adventure was to be set on a Morlox colony world, but then I remembered that Morloxica was never actually developed (I did have a template for it, but that unfortunately got erased from my computer). However, I remembered enough to know that it was a ringed and dry planet with 3 moons, and took the adventure planet and redesigned it to comply with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment